The Edina Double Square Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999, and in 2002, the district’s boundary was increased. It encompasses the town’s two public squares and the buildings along East Lafayette and Main Streets. The district includes the town’s courthouse square and the Knox County Courthouse, which was designed by St. Louis Public Schools architect William B. Ittner in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The second historic square includes the former public school, pavilion, bandstand, and water tower. The buildings in the historic district date from 1865-1945 and represent the history of commerce for the area, which served as a center of commerce for the agricultural community of Knox County.